NOTE: Due to COVID19, regular crop swaps are on hold.
For now – free tomato and pepper plant distribution has been announced by North Long Beach Crop Swappers.
“Thanks to the generosity of the Fullerton College horticulture department, we again have a large, varied and very robust supply of tomato and pepper plants to give to our crop swappers.
Given the Covid-19 restrictions, here’s how you can get the plants on either Friday or Saturday morning from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the North Long Beach Victory Garden, the old fire station at 6509 Gundry at 65th:
* Bring a bag, box or tray to carry your plants home — most of the plants are in 4-inch containers.
* Park on the side or front of the old station and walk in the front gate — the Gundry (front) side of the building.
* Get plastic gloves from the table.
* Tomato and pepper plants are organized by variety — we have about a dozen different varieties of each. Most of the tomatoes are heirlooms and produce fruit in a great range of shapes, colors and tastes.
* Peppers range from sweet to very hot. Info tags on each plant indicate the variety and heat level.
* We also will have some other veggie starts that you can take home.
* After you have picked up the plants you want, exit the side gate — 65th street.
By offering the plants over two days, we can spread out the attendance and make it easy for everyone to keep a six-foot distance from others.”