Lend a helping hand this Spring to help start new farms and gardens and help bring access to good food for all!
Join us at the CompoundLB (online during COVID) for “Food for Thought” a monthly live and recorded series that drops you into the Long Beach trenches in the fight for local food justice!
This Spring, we have a series of feel-good planting parties and food-sharing festivals so that we can continue to help build a better food system and more relationships around good eating:
HIT US UP TO VOLUNTEER
* Saturday, April 17th, 9am – 11am — Join us at the North Long Beach Victory Garden, 6509 Gundry, corner of 65th for a morning prepping the soil and planting the summer veggies. In addition, we will have dozens of varieties of heirloom and hybrid tomatoes for you to choose from, take home and plant and raise in your garden. If possible, please bring a shovel, rake and trowel.
* Saturday, April 24th, 9am to noon — We’ll be at Casa Chaskis Peruvian Restaurant, 2380 Santa Fe. We’re prepping the soil and and planting a mini veggie farm behind the restaurant, making it, as far as we know, the only restaurant in Long Beach that will be able to serve veggies that were harvested minutes before. We’ll have tomato plants to give away at this event too. In addition, we will prune the 20-plus street trees in the area. Please bring shovel, rake, trowel and pruning clipper.
* Saturday, May 1st, 10am – 11am — It’s the return of the North Long Beach Crop Swap at the North LB Victory Garden, 6509 Gundry, corner of 65th. Bring surplus from your backyard farm and go home with a bagful of fruits and veggies others have brought. Both the city health department and the University of California have cleared us to restart the swap — as long as we mask and observe six-foot distancing. We will also be looking ahead with volunteers towards the upcoming events and builds, so come by if you’d like more information.
* Thursday, May 20th2pm – 6pm — We’re painting a community mural at the site of the Bixby Knolls Farmers Market at 46th and Atlantic. We have an additonal engagement date on Thursday, April 22nd as well!
* Saturday, May 8th, 9am to noon — We need all hands on deck at the North LB Victory Garden, 6509 Gundry, corner of 65th. We’re building a farmstand, so that we can distribute produce to the community at this site. Artist Amy Tanaka will lead us through the building process.
* Saturday, May 29th 10am – 2pm — Everybody Eats Festival at several locations on Santa Fe Avenue between Pacific Coast Highway and Willow Street. We’ll be meeting at Casa Chaskis Peruvian Restaurant, 2380 Santa Fe and you’ll be oriented from there!